Castle Muiderslot: straight from a fairy tale
Just outside of Amsterdam lies the imposing Muiderslot, the most beautiful and best preserved medieval castle in the Netherlands. The building was commissioned by Count Floris V in 1280, then restored from 1370 and turned into an official museum in 1878. The ‘fairytale castle’ would not be inferior to a Walt Disney castle. That is why the Muiderslot is also a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
The Muiderslot awaits you with many surprises for the whole family. Dive into the Golden Age route with the impressive Knight’s Hall included in your ticket, do a children’s treasure hunt through the Knight and Tower route, visit the beautiful historic gardens and the Waterschild pavilion for a splashing water experience. Next to that, From April till November visitors can watch the birds of prey during live demonstrations of the falconer (except on Mondays). The museumcafe (Tavern) offers lunch and drinks.
The beautiful Muiderslot breathes history and especially the link with the Golden Age. Do you want to learn more about this significant period in Dutch history? Then also visit the Portrait Gallery of the Golden Age at the Hermitage Amsterdam!
|LOCATION||Herengracht 1, Muiden|
Openend daily 12:00 – 17:00h during school holidays (Christmas and spring break).
|PUBLIC TRANSPORT||From Weesp train station:|
Bus 110 (direction: Weesp Station) to stop Brandweerkazerne, Muiden.
From Amsterdam Amstel Station, take a bus to Muiden
|BEST TIME TO VISIT||All Day|
|TICKET TYPE||Printed ticket|
- The Muiderslot is not wheelchair accessible
- From Amsterdam a bus goes to the city of Muiden. From there it is a beautiful 15 minute walk to the castle
- Children till the age of 4 years are free of charge
- Pets are not allowed in the castle, with exception from guide dogs and official assistance dogs
- Please note: During events a surcharge is possible on the admission fee. Check the website before your visit
- Get dressed up and experience the Knight’s route!
- During summer months see the falconer with his impressive birds!
- Don’t miss the beautiful gardens of the castle!