The canals are lit this winter, so beautiful!
From the 29th November 2018 until the 20th of January 2019, experience Amsterdam in a different light. Literally. This year, The Amsterdam Light Festival’s theme is ‘the Medium is the Message’, the famous statement by Canadian scientist Marshall McLuhan. The role of light in conveying a message and the city of Amsterdam as a medium for telling stories are central to this edition.
The Amsterdam Light Festival consists of over 40 sculptures covered in twinkling lights, dotted throughout the city. They’ll be illuminating the waterfront from this winter, turning the city into a flickering wonderland. This is one of the best times to take a canal boat tour of Amsterdam. As you float around the storybook canals, the reflections of these custom artworks – all created by select international artists – turn the canals of Amsterdam into dancing nighttime rainbows.
Listen to your audio guide in Dutch or English as you snuggle up and take in the views of the art and the city. This will be your most magical winter in Amsterdam. After your cruise, explore the events, performances, and workshops that create the magic of the Amsterdam Light Festival. Light up your life with one of the best things to do in Amsterdam this winter! For the daredevils among us there is also an Open Boat available during the Amsterdam Light Festival!
|Stromma: In front of Central Station, Prins Hendrikkade 37a (next to the bridge)|
|DEPARTURE TIMES||Daily during the Amsterdam Light Festival: frequent departures from 17:00 till 21:30h.|
The Amsterdam Light Festival is from the 29th of November 2018 till the 20th of January 2019. Reserve your seat here.
(The 31st of December, the last departure will be at 18:30).
|PUBLIC TRANSPORT||Opposite Central Station|
|BEST TIME TO VISIT||Please check in 15 minutes before your reserved time|
|TICKET TYPE||Printed e-ticket, also smarthpone accepted!|
- The audio guides (English and Dutch) in the boats are specially made for the festival! Stromma is the No.1 partner of the ALF, so the quality will be great.
- Wheelchairs can be storaged aboard (but the boats are not fully wheelchair accessible)
- Make sure to book in advance. The Amsterdam Light Festival in one of the most popular events in the winter, and gets sold out very fast!
- Amsterdam is lit up by this festival only once a year!
- The Amsterdam Ligth Festival attracts admirers from all over the world
- Comfortable and warm boats with explanation about the art!