Kasteel de Haar is the largest and most luxurious castle in the Netherlands!
This Attraction is closed until further notice.
Whether you visit Kasteel de Haar for the park, the wonderful history, the exhibitions, the gardens, the deer or to get married, you will find yourself in a different world. Behind every door, every detail, every flower from the colorful gardens, there is a story – about different times, different cultures, different figures.
De Haar is the largest castle in the Netherlands that was once privately owned by the family van Zuylen. Its descendants still reside there annually. For over a century it has been a tradition for the Van Zuylen van Nijevelt van de Haar family to reside in the castle for one month a year, in September. During this month famous international guests are invited and fancy house parties are hosted by the baron and baroness. Famous guests included Coco Chanel, Maria Callas, Gregory Peck, Roger Moore, Yves Saint Laurent, Joan Collins and Brigitte Bardot.
In 1890, Baron Etienne van Zuylen van Nijevelt van de Haar inherits the heavily decayed estate De Haar. He decides to rebuild the family castle, as a tribute to his ancestors. Together with the rich baroness Hélène de Rothschild, he hires the stararchitect Pierre Cuypers, who’s already famous for his design of the Rijksmuseum and the Central Station in Amsterdam. Cuypers turns De Haar into a true work of art, while retaining original layouts. Cuypers’ grand design included not just the architecture of the castle but also the interiors, gardens, the chapel and even the village of Haarzuilens. Without exaggeration the whole project can be described as a Gesamtkunstwerk. Cuypers has created a unique and special world: an enchanting oasis of harmony and peace.
Visit this tremendous location in the Netherlands and explore both the castle and its beautiful surrounding gardens.
If you are planning to visit Castle de Haar it is also strongly adviced to visit the Domtoren in Utrecht.
|LOCATION||Kasteellaan 1, 3455 RR, Utrecht|
|OPENING TIMES||Castle: daily 11:00 – 17:00 (final admission 16:15)
Gardens: daily 09:00 – 17:00
|PUBLIC TRANSPORT||Kasteel de Haar with public transport|
|TICKET TYPE||Printed- or mobile ticket|
- The ticket is not valid on 1 January 2020, 11 February, 11 March, 25 till 27 April, 15 till 17 May, 24 June, 23 till 29 November and 31 December.
- Parking is available on the grounds of Kasteel de Haar and costs € 6,- . A parking coin is available at the counter.
- At Kasteel de Haar you can follow ‘The Hidden Rooms of De Haar tour’. Reservations can be made via 030-6778515 or firstname.lastname@example.org. The tour costs € 3.50. This amount is not included in the ticket. You can pay at the box office of the castle.
- Largest and most luxurious castle in the Netherlands
- Don’t miss the beautiful gardens that surround the castle