The Traditional Clothes of the Hollanders!
The Dutch Costume Museum brings you a piece of Dutch history that you will not find anywhere else in Amsterdam. The city of Amsterdam is known for the modern and casual way people dress, however in smaller towns this used to be totally different. These towns had different costumes that differed per town and per stage of life. For instance, there were different costumes for people in mourning or for newlyweds.
The museum has seven rooms that represent seven different regions in the Netherlands. Each room is painted in the characteristic colours and figures of that particular region. Each room offers stories about the people who used to wear the costumes that you see displayed. They tell you the function of different parts of the costume. The extravagant costumes were not always easy to make and wear, nevertheless they look very impressive. In other words, we can call these costumes folk art. Have a look and find your favourite costume!
You can also do a photoshoot in a traditional Dutch Costume! With this ticket you get 30% discount on a photoshoot (from €15)!
Are you interested in more museums in the canal district of Amsterdam? The Museum of the Canals is close to this museum and a great addition to your day in the canal district!
|LOCATION||Herengracht 427, Amsterdam|
|OPENING HOURS||Open daily from 10:00 – 18:00 h|
Closed on April 27th (Kingsday)
|PUBLIC TRANSPORT||Tram: 2 stop: Koningsplein or tram 14 stop: Rokin|
It is approximately a 20 minute walk from Central Station
|BEST TIME TO VISIT||Before 13:00 h or after 16:00 h|
|TICKET TYPE||Printed ticket, but also smartphone accepted|
The audio guide tells stories of the people who used to wear the costumes, and is available in the following languages: Dutch, English, German, French, Italian and Spanish.
- Due to the historic building the museum is not accessible for wheelchairs
- Strollers can be stalled in the basement
- The cloackroom can be used, however is not guarded
- This tour does not include a photo, but there is a possibility to get a great photoshoot in traditional Dutch costume!
- The largest collection of folk costumes in the Netherlands!
- You can reserve the photo studio if you would like to take a picture wearing one of the amazing costumes with friends, family or your sports club