Middelburg & the Zeeuws Museum
Combine a day in Middelburg with a visit to the Zeeuws Museum. This historic city is a pearl in the southwest of the Netherlands, with perfectly maintained shipyards, warehouses and museums. One of them is the Zeeuws Museum, with its varied exhibitions about fashion and regional dress, history & archeology and natural history. In short, a perfect day out!
Middelburg and the Zeeuws Museum
Middelburg is the ideal city to follow the traces of the Golden Age in the Netherlands. The city has many historic buildings and monuments. The cobblestone streets and narrow alleys have also been preserved. Besides that warehouses and a number of inspiring galeries offer insight into the industry that made Middelburg the largest trading city in the southwest of the Netherlands. Therefore, in 2019 and 2020, Middelburg is all about the Golden Age.
Middelburg was a busy international trade center in the Golden Age. Because Middelburg was located on the middle peninsula of Zeeland, the city was in the ideal position for the trade routes of the VOC (Dutch East India Company). To emphasize that, today this heritage can still be seen in the national monuments and historic buildings. The cultural institutions that emerged from the artistic and scientific developments in this prosperous time have also been preserved.
Golden Age in the Zeeuws Museum
The world-famous Zeeland tapestries are located in the Tapestry Room. These carpets form the backdrop for a tour of the large part of the Zeeland region in the Eighty Years’ War and the revolt against the Spaniards. Eventually, the first city of all the « Dutch » regions that revolts is Vlissingen in 1572. With the withdrawal of the Spanish troops from Zierikzee in 1576, the Spaniards are definitively expelled from the region of Zeeland. Long before the same thing happens in Holland.
In the fall of 1576, mutinous Spanish troops plundered Antwerp. For this reason many wealthy people from Antwerp flee to the north, to Amsterdam and Middelburg, and help to ensure great prosperity: the Golden Age is born. During the second part of the tour, the other halls with the rich history of this period will be visited.
|LOCATION||Abdij (Plein), 4331 BK, Middelburg|
|OPENING TIMES||Tuesday – Sunday: 11:00 – 17:00|
|PUBLIC TRANSPORT||Travel to station Middelburg. From the station it is a 10 minute walk to Zeeuws Museum|
|TICKET TYPE||Printed ticket|
- Het museum is not open on 25 December en 1 January
- Accessible for wheelchairs with a turning circle of a maximum of 1.5 meters. The museum has 2 wheelchairs. Advisable to reserve in advance.
- Zeeuws Museum organizes customized tours on request. You can indicate the subject of the tour yourself. Reserve via email@example.com. For more information, go to www.zeeuwsmuseum.nl
- Combinez une visite à Middelburg avec le musée Zeeuws
- Le musée Zeeuws est situé dans l’abbaye médiévale, dans le centre de la ville
- La salle de tapis avec des tapis de renommée mondiale Zélande
- L’exposition spécial: Voici la Zélande, une histoire des habitants de la Zélande à travers les âges
- Visitez les monuments nationaux, les bâtiments historiques et admirez les belles places, les cafés agréables avec terrasses et les magasins de Middelburg